Thursday, July 17, 2014

Night Owl

I am definitely not a morning person. And not just in the lazy teenager way, but in the full-blown, “you have a problem,” way. If it’s happening before 10am, then I’m probably not going to show up. If nothing is happening, then I’m probably not going to leave my bed until late afternoon. I’ve been this way since as long as I can remember. I’ve tried to fight it over the years and have had varying degrees of success. However, whenever I’m am left to my own schedule, my body instinctively reverts to this shifted schedule. I don’t think I will ever be a morning person. 


To help balance out this biological inability to function before noon, it seems that my body has adopted a particular affinity for late nights. If the stars are out, then chances are so am I. I thrive on the intensity and tranquility. I thrive on knowing that everyone else is asleep and find security in the knowledge that no one will disturb my razor sharp focus. Everything is clearer at night, under the light of the moon. Complex problems have clear solutions, thoughts transform effortlessly into ink on paper, and the white noise of everyday chaos ceases. It’s just me and my thoughts wandering around at this hour: no noise, no schedules, no distractions. This is the atmosphere that kick starts my productivity like no other. Interaction is such a huge part of our daily lives, but there is something special about solitude. Some of the most incredible moments I’ve ever had have been those in which I was completely alone. Those who have ever wandered the sidewalks of their neighborhood at four in the morning and has seen the world at its quietest knows how magical it can be. Those who haven’t experienced this should try it some time. Sometimes being alone with your thoughts is the best way to develop them into something meaningful. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for team work and collaboration, however being completely isolated amongst a vast night sky is inspiring in a way no study group can be.


So this is where I find myself tonight. Contently isolated from the rest of the sleeping world. Legs restless, eyes wide open, and contemplating the questions we don’t usually take the time to ponder amongst the chaos of regularly scheduled days. This time, this witching hour, this sharpened solitude, this midnight moment, is mine. I wouldn’t have it any other way.