Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cool Off


So summer is in full swing here and while I've been in vacation mode for quite some time, it seems that the Seattle weather has finally got the memo. It has been HOT and even as a California girl, I have been sweating and panting with the rest of the city. I've been in desperate need of something to keep me cool. 




For me, it's all about that iced green tea because I can drink it by the bucket load without feeling guilty and without getting the shakes from over caffeination. It's way healthier than downing gallons of diet coke and is supposedly good for your skin (according to various people on the internet and in magazines,) so thats a bonus. Iced green tea is my go-to order at Starbucks when I stop by to shamelessly bum their internet. Lately, however, I have been brewing it up at home which is working even better because its so freaking easy.

I brew the tea hot in a big glass jug with about 4 tea bags for two hours. brewing it hot makes the tea steep better and faster. Plus, I can sweeten the tea with a couple spoonfuls of honey while its still warm enough to dissipate. When you purchase an iced tea at a coffee shop, sweetening with honey isn't really an option. I leave the jug in a sunny corner of the counter and let it steep for a couple hours at least because I like it nice and strong. You can always water it down a little later, and should keep in mind that once you add the ice, the tea will get a little watered down on its own. Then you just pop the whole jar in the fridge and save it for later. A jug will typically last me about a week, depending on the weather. It is so nice to always have a cool glass of iced tea close by and ready, especially one that is brewed and sweetened exactly how I like it. I guess, I'm a bit of a perfectionist that way.

Note: This drink is best enjoyed in a cozy lawn chair on a sunny patio.



Happy Summer!