Sunday, June 22, 2014

Dinner for One: Kale Salad

Part of acting like an adult is eating like an adult so I have been trying to put on my big girl apron and do work in the kitchen. I am never going to be Martha Stewart but I also recognize that you can't eat nachos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (at least not without a significant degree of judgement from friends and family.) I've been making a real conscious effort lately to cook a couple of "Grown up" meals instead. 


Nothing says "responsible adult" like the trendiest of superfoods: kale. Plus, salads are totally healthy in their own right. I am trying to be healthy but not boring and, for me, making a salad exciting is a little bit of a challenge. I like to add lots of extra fun goodies like cheese and nuts to add some fun factor. This particular salad was thrown together from whatever we happened to have in our fridge, (a recurring theme in my culinary adventures.) I used:

  • Kale
  • Diced avocado
  • Fresh strawberries
  • Chunks of mozzarella cheese
  • Shelled pistachios nuts
  • Cilantro lime dressing from Trader Joes
Then I just had to toss it all in a bowl, mix it together and dig in. So simple while still being interesting and delicious. Eating like an adult can be fun. 


Another thing about cooking like an adult is cleaning up after yourself and doing the dishes. Maybe, I'll start working on that one next!